Video is Coming Soon.. Later in August
Script for a burger 5 minute video:
- In making burgers – what utensils do I use?
- A large bowl
- An electric food processor or if you don’t have one – a potato masher
- A cutting board and knife
- An inexpensive food chopper saves a lot of time
- Some measuring spoons and stirring spoons
- And finally a pan to sauté veggies.
- That’s it – very little clean up! ~30 seconds
- Sautéing Veggies – we start here because while the veggies are sautéing for 10 minutes at medium heat or 250 if you use an electric frying pan, we can do others things and save time.
- Since today we are demoing Boston Black Bean Burgers we need: 3 medium carrots, a package of scallions and 1 8oz package of mushrooms.
- We slice the carrots and then use the hand chopper.
- We thinly slice the scallions.
- We started with sliced mushrooms so we just hand chop them.
- All these go into the sauté pan with only two tablespoons of extra virgin olive oil.
- Keep a tablespoon of garlic powder to add near the end so you maintain as much fragrance and flavor as possible… or if you like crush two garlic cloves instead. ~ 1 minute
- Now let’s get started with the beans.. for the Baked Bean Burger we use 1 150z can of white northern beans.. you can use cannellini beans if you like.
- Salter night and free organic beans in a can are very inexpensive and safe time. If you want to use raw beans you will get more flavor for sure – then you need to soak the beans overnight and then cook for two hours before making the burgers.
- We drain and rinse the beans, then add them to the bowl.
- Next we add our spices and flavorings.
- 2 tablespoon each of: lemon juice, molasses, tahini, and nutritional yeast flakes.
- 1 tablespoon each of olive oil and dry mustard – use mustard from a jar if you don’t have the dry mustard – making burgers is very forgiving!
- Mix the beans and spices thoroughly
- Stir the veggies adding the garlic at this time.
- ~ 1.5 mins video time
- Transfer the bean mixture and the sautéed veggies to the food processor and pulse a few times.
- Add 1 cup each of steel cut oats and whole wheat breadcrumbs and pulse a few times.
- Finely chop a handful of fresh parsley and add to burger mixture.
- If you are not on a reduced salt diet you can add a tablespoon of tamari at this point.
- ~ 30 seconds video time
- Now mix the burger mixture in the electric food processor until you see the mixture going around inside clumped together. Now you are ready to form the burgers.
- Empty the food processor back into the same bowl and start forming burgers.
- We often freeze the burgers for use at various meals. The we separate the burgers from each other with parchment or wax paper and stick them in the freezer.
- ~ 30 seconds of video time
- For easy cooking use a George Forman panni maker and cook for 5 minutes and serve. You can of course sauté them instead – 5 minutes on a side.
- Serve on a bun or with Cole slaw and potato salad for a great tasting summer meal. With 12 burgers handy you can usually serve 4 – 6 people.
Have a plate of slaw, potato salad and burgers with a bun handy to show…